Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Interview with Richard Stephenson

Hello everyone! Today is another author interview! And our lucky author is Richard Stephenson. To learn more about him, read below.


1) When did you start writing?

"Collapse" is my debut novel. I wrote the first word back in late February of 2012.

2) When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I've always been a big fan of apocalyptic/dystopian novels and I'm always on the lookout for a good one to read. I've always wanted to read one that was more grounded in reality, one that isn't centered around zombies, an alien invasion, or some cataclysmic event like a killer asteroid. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for those kinds of stories. When I couldn't find one that I liked, I figured I try my hand at writing and produce one myself.

3) How long have you been writing?

Before I started writing "Collapse" I always enjoyed writing the lengthy reports and various other paperwork for my job. I really enjoyed doing it and would even write for my co-workers.

4) What is your book about? (Describe it)

"Collapse" is set in the year 2027 and deals with the downfall of America. Three very different men from three very different walks of life must struggle to survive, at first on their own, and then together they must unite to save the country.

5) Tell us two things about you that not too many people know.

I've never seen "The Sound of Music" and I'm a cat person, not a dog person.

6) How did you come up with the idea of your book?

I work in law enforcement and during a hurricane, I don't have the luxury of being able to evacuate. During the last major hurricane to hit my region, we spent about twelve hours completely cut off from the rest of the world. No phones, internet, tv, not even radio stations on the dial. I remember very clearly thinking that aliens could have landed on the White House lawn and we'd have been none the wiser. That level of chaos and seclusion was a very surreal experience. I then began to think of that experience on a national level and it really made me realize that civilization is quite fragile.

7) If you could be a character in one of your books, who would it be? (And why?)

When I finished the introductory chapters, my wife asked me "Which character is you?" I told her that all three of the main characters are me in some aspect. All three characters represent different facets of my personality. If I had to pick just one of them, I would say that Chief Harris is the one I identify with the most.

8) What's your background? Tell us a little about it.

I graduated from college in 1995 and began my law enforcement career as a Military Policeman. I currently work as a federal law enforcement officer

9) Did your family support you to write?

Absolutely. My wife anxiously awaited to read each chapter as I finished them.

10) What's life being a writer?

It's incredible. Nothing in my personal life has given me so much fulfillment. Interacting with my readers brings me great pride. Three words make me smile every time "When's the sequel?"


11) Do you mind telling your age? Do you like readers know how old you are or you rather they don't know?

I'll be 38 in January.

12) What's one thing that you went through in your life that was extremely difficult and hard?

Working for fifteen years in the dangerous field of law enforcement have cursed me with far too many memories to name just one.

Book Links:




 Social Network:
 
Follow him @RStephenson5
 

 
Thank you for letting me have this interview with you, it was great getting to know more about you and an honor to interview you. Hope you all had a great time. Have a great day!